Thursday, September 17, 2009


Thankful and Inspired: A Dream Comes True with a Little Help


On Tuesday I arrived home from work to find a big box on my front porch. It was filled with copies of my book, "The Perfect Proposal", mailed from my publisher. What an incredible moment for any author, but this one had special significance for me.


The reason for that is my parents. Some people are lucky enough to have the kind of childhood that others only dream about. I am one of those lucky ones, I would go as far to say very blessed. I had a wonderful relationship with my parents through childhood into adulthood. All along the way, they encouraged me to keep writing and pursue my dream of one day being published.


This continued through years of rejection slips, heartbreak and frustration...all "back in the days" when correspondence was conducted through the snail mail. Oh, the waiting for the mail! Each day without the big yellow envelope (a returned manuscript) was another day closer to acceptance.

Years passed and they both went to their Final Reward without seeing me publish any of my books. But they read them all!

What's so special about "The Perfect Proposal"? Here's what: my publisher offered me a contract for that book on October 20, which was the day of their 55th wedding anniversary! Even though they are both gone, I always feel them near to me. It made my heart so heavy to know they were not here, though. I'd like to thank them in person for all they did and all they sacrificed. This happiness I'm feeling now is all thanks to them, their goodness and God's graces.

Once I have a photo to post of them, I will do so happily. I know it's great to post photos so I'll get to that. For now I do have the book cover.

Thank you for listening. Isn't it incredible how it feels when someone believes in you?

No comments: